It will cover:
Sire, Chapters 2-6, 9
“Deism and Naturalism”
Nihilism and Existentialism
“Theism, Modernism, Postmodernism”
You should be able to:
A. define the following concepts:
- Theistic Existentialism
- Atheistic Existentialism
B. Answer the following questions:
- Compare and contrast Christian Theism and Naturalism. How can a Christian argue against Naturalism, besides appealing to special revelation (the Bible)?
- How does Kant’s distinction between noumena and phenomena pave the way for these two worldviews: Naturalism and Existentialism? Discuss.
- What are the Nihilist’s criticisms of Naturalism? (Discuss the epistemological, metaphysical and moral inconsistencies)
- What are the ways Existentialism fails as a worldview? Discuss in detail.
- Compare and contrast theistic and atheistic existentialism.
- How is theistic existentialism different from Christian theism? How is it alike?
- What are some characteristics of postmodernism, according to philosophers (as opposed to theologians and literary critics?)
- How would you contrast "modernism" and "postmodernism?"
- How would you contrast "premodernism" and "postmodernism."
- If you couldn't be a Theist, which worldview would you embrace? Why?
- Besides Postmodernism, which of these worldviews do you think most people in the U.S. hold: Deism, Naturalism, Nihilism, Existentialism? Explain in detail.